Friday, August 29, 2008

ALEX

The Alabama Learning Exchange (ALEX) is an online resource that allows teachers to post and share their lesson plans with each other. It can also be used to help teachers to keeps their own lesson plans organized. With this resource, educators can compare their own resources with those of other teachers and glean new ideas which they might not otherwise be aware of.

This looks like an incredibly useful tool, and is in keeping with the new openness provided by blogs and the internet in general. A teacher in rural areas of the state can see how their own lesson plans and curriculums compare to teachers in more urban environments, and can choose to add to their own curriculum a greater diversity of ideas. They can also share their own lesson plans with others and create a new kind of educational community.

I’m looking forward to exploring this site in greater detail. I definitely think ALEX will be in invaluable tool for me when I begin teaching, and as my career progresses, it will allow me to continue to grow and learn on my own. I hope other states implement this kind of resource exchange.

No comments: