Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Week 1

I was born and raised in Nashville (that's a uniquely southern way of saying "I grew up in..." after all, you raise livestock as well as children. It's always struck me as odd that the phrase seems natural to say), so it's home to me. I've lived all over enough to know that one place is pretty much the same as the other, it's what you do while you're there that makes it good or bad (in my experience anyway). I wanted to be a rock star when I was a kid, and the irony of dreaming that dream in Nashville didn't hit me until I was 25. All of my closest friends are there, still doing music in one way or another, so it's revitalizing to be there and be part of that.

At 25, I was tired of working in restaurants and trying to do the impossible, so I asked myself what I really wanted to do. For some reason, Secret Agent sounded cool, so I called the CIA. Their requirements? Bachelor's degree with military or police backgrounds preferred. I didn't have a degree, and I didn't want to be a cop, but the military would pay for school and give me a leg up, so in 2000, I joined the Marine Corps. Nobody could believe it, least of all me. I never played sports or had any real interest in politics other than disagreeing with my parents up to that point.

I had a blast in Boot Camp, and thought it was the greatest thing ever at the time, but I got disillusioned pretty quickly afterward. I lived in California, Texas, and Maryland. I got married and divorced. I got to be an agent at the NSA, both as a Marine and afterward as a contractor for Lockheed-Martin. It wasn't quite as exciting as I'd imagined, and I didn't agree with a lot of what we were doing. After I got divorced, I decided there was no real reason for me to stay in the DC area doing a job I wasn't crazy about, so I left. I work for a corporate bookstore now, and I hate the hours, but it has some pretty good fringe benefits for someone who likes to read.

Nashville's still home though, and I feel like I've been trying to get back there ever since I left. I want to be in a band again, record and play shows, and write. I recently got it into my head that I should be using my recent experience to learn how to open my own comic book shop. I'd enjoy having my own place without a corporate boss, and still have time to pursue my other interests.

4 comments:

Rachel's Blog for EDM 310 said...

I think that it would be so interesting to live in Nashville. I love all types of music and not to mention all the good places to eat. I can tell that you're into music, I'm a foodie so if you ever want some good tips and places to eat just let me know.

Kdub said...

That is so cool. You have done a lot. I would love to travel around one day. As much as I love home (as it seems you do) I need to get out for a little bit. After being away, I just might find my way back like you will eventually.

Kelly Rose edm 310 blog said...

I love Nashville! I visit family there quite a bit! or as much as I can...

Bob Wakeman said...

Very Interesting Blog! Look forward to this semester having you in class.